Monday, December 12, 2011

Psalms

As I mentioned last time, I've been reading ahead in our "reading thru the Bible in one year" challenge.  I've been delving into Psalms exclusively the past couple weeks which continues to be a blessing given the craziness of the year.  I was particularly struck (yet again!) by the words in Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it."  Here's my personal take on it.


"This is the day" -- not yesterday, not tomorrow, but today.  Stop with the "remember whens" and don't worry about the future.  Focus on today.
"which the LORD hath made;" -- God gave us today for some reason.  So whether today finds you struggling at work, relaxing with friends, ill, or whatever, remember that God has a reason.  I don't seem to ever find His reasons obvious, but I pray that one day it will be explained to me or that I'll see it myself in heaven.  
"we will rejoice and be glad in it." -- it's easy to rejoice and be glad when life is going "our" way.  It's more difficult to rejoice in the dark times, yet we are told to do so.  Most of us know people who always seem to be "rejoicing" even when their struggles are mighty.  And we know people who seem to have everything the world deems valuable yet still seem miserable.  Observe without judging others, then let us examine our own selves.  Not every day is going to be perfect, yet we can always find joy in something, even if it's "only" getting into your bed at the end of a difficult day.


Another psalm that always touches me is Psalm 100:

 "1Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.
 2Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
 3Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
 4Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
 5For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations."

Verse 1 makes me smile -- my singing ability leaves a bit to be desired, but I can certainly join in the worship with a "joyful noise".  Verse 2 reminds me of my grandmother and her sisters.  While they did their housework  and other chores, they sang.  Music can bring such joy and peace.  Worship music, be it traditional hymns or contemporary Christian music can enable conversations about faith.  I'll sometimes find myself humming as I'm shopping and only become aware of it when someone asks me what the song is.  I'll share the lyrics and perhaps if they follow up we can have a short discussion on faith.  Doesn't happen often, but it makes my mindless humming less embarassing!  Verse 3 is humbling.  I can take no credit for myself.  Period.  I can exercise, eat well, and groom myself, but ultimately my fate is in God's hands.  Verse 4, to me, can refer to the gates of heaven, the gates that surrounded the tabernacle, our churches today, or most generally, the earth.  Whatever you consider to be the gates and courts, be thankful for them.  I'm guilty of sometimes entering church on Sunday morning pre-occupied with what's coming up for the week or other worries.  I'd like to better remind myself to be thankful for today and for being with others who love God.  Verse 5 gives comfort.  God is forever.  His mercy is forever.  He recognizes my sin and forgives me it, I hope even those sins I commit without even thinking they are sin.  And he is the same God yesterday, tomorrow, and most importantly for me, today.

God Bless and have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment